Acronis Nonstop Backup with multiple drives
One of the solutions I provide to people that require constant data backup is Acronis True Image Home with Nonstop backup (NSB) enabled.
The NSB service can be useful in a situation where you have data thats changing frequently and don’t want to lose a couple of hours work going back to the previous night’s backup.
Ideally only one drive would be used for the NSB while other drives or networked storage would be used for the daily backup.
In some cases though I will set it up so that the daily backup and NSB are kept on the same disk.
In such cases it’s necessary to use the following instructions to make sure that the NSB is enabled when the drive is swapped.
These instructions are also available for download here
If you are using a 2 USB drive backup rotation along with the Nonstop Backup (NSB) feature of Acronis you need to follow the following steps to swap the drives.
- Power off the computer and swap the drives. (The backup service locks the drive so that it cannot be safely removed even if NSB is stopped)
- Turn on the computer, Log in (if necessary) and open Acronis
- On the left side choose Backup, then choose Nonstop Backup. Notice Nonstop Backup is off (Blue in picture)
- Under Options: click on the link next to “Storage for nonstop backups” (Red in picture)
- Choose “Storage” on the left
- Under Acceptable Partitions Click on the drive you just hooked up (Red in picture) then Click Make active (Blue in picture)
- Click OK to return to the Acronis Backup page
- Click on Nonstop Backup in first image to turn it on. (Blue in first picture)
- Close program
If there are any Questions or problems please contact LJ Technical Services
These instructions © LJ Technical Services 2010
“Acronis”, “Acronis True Image”, “Nonstop backup” and the Acronis logo are trademarks of Acronis, Inc